Please take a moment to enjoy our 2013/2014 Annual Report which commemorates our 60 years of Believing, Inspiring and Achieving. Thank you for joining us on our journey
Public Service Announcements
Community Living York South is a not-for-profit organization that provides services to youth, adults and seniors who have an intellectual disability and who live in Southern York Region. All supports and services promote social inclusion, individual choice, independence and rights and are respectful of social, linguistic and cultural diversity of individuals, families and communities.
A Tender Path
A play in one act by Doris RajanDirected by Soheil Parsa
Come and join us for a delicious dinner at the Sheraton followed by an evening of theatre as performed by professional artists/actors. The Theatre-Driven Summit (with dinner) is designed to engage diverse community members in conversation–in a town hall setting –around matters of acute marginalization and/or traumatic experiences through the medium of theatre. The play evolved from a community-based research process that took place across a variety of diverse communities and/or identities via focus groups and key-informant interviews. Stories from the First Nation experience, Somali, Transgender, Iranian, Kurdish and Tamil communities were involved. The research has culminated into a play entitled A Tender Path that depicts the “Truth” component in the symposium’s Truth, Reconciliation and Engagement theme. The play takes you to a waiting room of a social assistance government office, where a group of people are trapped in their recent pasts of dislocation, loss and trauma. The memories fuse into the present day, here and now in Canada, where they could collectively decide to imagine their way out of the pain.
BUY YOUR TICKETS TODAY! –LIMITED TABLES
MORE ON THE SYMPOSIUM
Doris Rajan (Producer & Playwright): http://www.ciecyr.ca/#!speakers/cfvg
Soheil Parsa (Director): http://heritagetoronto.org/soheil-parsa/
Guillermo Verdecchia (Dramaturge): http://www.canadiantheatre.com/dict.pl?term=Verdecchia%2C%20Guillermo
November 13, 2013 – On behalf of Community Living York South and the Community Support Program, Ritu Singarayer accepted the FOCUS Accreditation 2013 Innovation Award. This award strives to recognize an agency that took action on an idea to address a particular challenge experienced in service agencies or by people and communities. The Community Support Program was considered for this award as it clearly demonstrated that it addresses a gap in service, is sustainable, its impact is regularly evaluated and the organization responds to what is learned from evaluating its impact. This award, in addition to our Accreditation status with FOCUS, is an ongoing testament to the hard work, exceptional quality and dedication of everyone who is a part of the organization and further establishes Community Living York South’s commitment to service access, diversity and inclusivity. The link to a video that highlights the value of the Community Support Program is provided below.
In the Community
Through our residential services, we currently support 300 people in community participation activities. Our daytime support teams facilitate meaningful community-based activities for adults that encourage choice, independence and inclusive engagement in local communities. Outreach teams assists people of all ages who live independently or at home with their families to develop interim options while awaiting housing, daytime or case management services that are funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.
New Mission, Vision and Values
On September 12, 2013 the Board of Directors for Community Living York South approved our new Mission, Vision and Value statements. After much consultation with people supported, staff, family and many other stakeholders we are confident that these new statements reflect the future direction and commitments of the association. Community Living York South is very proud of its long history of service provision and we are as equally proud and excited to share our newest Mission, Vision and Value statements. These statements will provide our direction for the future.
Empower people with an intellectual disability to live, learn, work and participate in their community.
Community Living York South believes in a society where everyone belongs.
- We set the standard for excellence in the developmental services sector. We continually strive to be the service provider of choice for all stakeholders.
- We provide support with kindness, dignity and respect.
- We are committed to providing culturally diverse supports which complement our communities.
- We recognize that each person and family has unique needs and we will provide support in a manner which recognizes that individuality.
- We encourage people we support and their families to explore options, exercise informed choices and make the decisions that affect their lives.
- We value, support, invest in and recognize competence, compassion and commitment in all staff, students and volunteers.
- We are committed to responsive, transparent leadership which reflects what is important to, and for, each person.
- We are accountable to all stakeholders.
- We value and foster leadership and excellence in our organization and in our community.
- We achieve our Vision in partnership with all stakeholders.
- We will actively promote and assist in the creation of social networks that benefit our stakeholders.